Many distinct components can compose employee wellness programs. Common ones include:
- Health Risk Assessments: These questionnaires can help identify employees’ mental and physical health risks. Their responses also help create customized wellness programs and track progress over time.
- Biometric Screenings: These tests can measure blood pressure, cholesterol, and body mass index (BMI), giving employees a clear picture of their health and how to protect and improve it.
- Exercise Programs: Many workplace wellness programs include an exercise component. It could be simple, such as providing access to a gym/fitness center or offering classes/activities during work hours. For instance, a step challenge is a great way to get your workforce moving!
- Nutrition Programs: Proper diet is crucial to maintaining employees’ health. Some employee wellness programs offer nutrition education, cooking classes, and affordable access to healthy foods.
- Stress Management Programs: Stress can have a significant impact on employee health. Thus, effective wellness programs may offer stress management techniques, such as yoga or meditation, to help employees stay calm and focused.
Each component plays a role in promoting employee health and wellness. By offering these services, employers can help employees achieve well-being and reduce their risks of developing chronic conditions.
Reducing Absenteeism and Presenteeism Costs
Low productivity stems from absenteeism and presenteeism, costing employers money. The higher an employee's health risks—for example, obesity, depression, and smoking—the more often they will be absent or underperforming at work.
When employees can participate in wellness activities and access the wellness program components mentioned above, they are more likely to maintain good health and require less time off. As a result, productivity and profitability increase for their employers.
If you are an employer looking to implement employee wellness programs, book an appointment with Givhero today and learn more about how we can support you.